Off to a great start with Christ-Centered A-B-C’s!
- Young 4's (K4)
- Advanced 3's (K3)
Note: Phonics Level A was primarily developed for teaching young K4 students at a slower Home School pacing. However, some advanced 3's may also do well at this level. An advanced 4 will normally do better by starting with Complete Phonics Kit B (Part 002).
Why choose Christ-Centered Phonics?
Christ-Centered Phonics has not simply tacked on some Bible verses to basically secular (the God of Scripture is left out) materials. Rather,
we have purposed to begin passing on a truly biblical world view during children’s most formative years---when the foundation of their character,
habits, and intellect is being formed. For a more thorough biblical view of early childhood education, see the "Helpful Articles" link on the Home page for "God-Centered vs. Child-Centered Education."
Phonics Kit A includes the following:
Getting More Information: Click any part number below to link to more information about that product.
- Christ-Centered Phonics Master Guide (3-ring binder--Includes Visual Aids) (Part 200)
- Christ-Centered Phonics Flashcards 1-31: Set 1 (Part 201.1)
- Christ-Centered Phonics Flashcards Drill CD (Part 201.5)
- Christ-Centered Phonics Lessons for Aa-Zz: Level A (Part 202 )
- Christ-Centered Phonics Workbook: Level A (Part 203)
- Christ-Centered Phonics Workbook Instructions/Answer Key: Level A (Part 203AK)
- Alphabet & Numbers Tracing Masters (Part 216)
- Reader: Creation: God Made Me (Part 350)
- Readers: Short Vowel Set (5 books – Part 351)
If you already own Phonics Kit A (Part 001), when ready for the Beginning-to-Read Program (Levels B:1 and B:2) you only need the Complete Phonics Add-On Kit B (Part 002AO). Level A items also used at Level B are not included in the Add-On Kit.
- Christ-Centered Alphabet Wall Cards (Part 215)---Helpful when singing the "Christ-Centered Alphabet Song."
- Magnetic Learning Letters (Part 217)---104 upper/lower case color-coded letters (red vowels/blue consonants). This hands-on teaching aid helps develop early reading and spelling skills. A sturdy plastic bucket is included.
Skills Covered at Phonics Level A:
- Aa-Zz Letters/Sounds
- Short Vowels
- Blends (single consonant and a vowel blended together to form one speech sound)
- Reading Short Vowel Words
- Spelling Blends and Short Vowel Words
- Brief introduction to Long Vowels
- Manuscript Printing
Note: At Rocky Bayou Christian School, where this program was developed, as measured by the 1970 California Achievement Test (CAT) designed
for first graders, at the end of kindergarten K5's who attended both K4 and K5 have averaged a 3.02 median Grade Equivalent (G.E.) and a median Percentile score of 98.8.
WHERE TO BEGIN?
To get off to a great start teaching the Christ-Centered A-B-C’s, we recommend finding a quiet space to spend some time with the Lord as you follow these simple steps:
- Read Part I of the Christ-Centered Phonics Master Guide (Part 200) for the “big picture” of teaching the three levels of reading.
- Read Part II of the Guide---“How to Use the Charts and Visual Aids” (the binder's five tabbed sections).
- Read the “Introduction” (pp. iii-iv) to Phonics Lessons for Aa-Zz (Part 202) for an explanation of each type of phonics exercise. Word-for-word instructions will then guide you in each lesson.
- Read the “Introduction” (pp. i-viii) to Phonics Workbook Instructions & Answer Key: Level A (Part 203AK) for “SPECIAL TEACHING TIPS FOR LEVEL A” phonics workbook exercises plus information on how to teach manuscript printing.
Teaching Phonics Level A:
The Level A lessons were written so that even a novice teacher can be successful. Though these lessons are shorter and not as challenging as Level B:1, they likewise introduce Phonics Flashcards 1-31 (Aa-Zz letters/sounds) plus auditory and visual discrimination skills, which are essentials for reading. After teaching a day’s lesson, refer to the Workbook Instructions/Answer Key A for teaching tips for Phonics Workbook A's (Part 203) assignment listed under “PHONICS SEATWORK” at the end of each lesson.
Phonics Kit A (Part 001) contains 31 full lessons, divided into three days each (93 days total). These may be taught at the rate of one full lesson per week, or spread over several weeks. A daily lesson plus workbook assignment generally takes about 20 minutes. For the best results, teach in sequence at whatever pacing best fits your child's God-given capabilities.