- Advanced 4's (K4)
- 5's (K5)
- Beginning 1st (B1st---first time being schooled)
- Older students just starting their education.
Note: It is not necessary to have completed Level A before starting Level B.
Why choose Christ-Centered Phonics?
Christ-Centered Phonics has not simply tacked on some Bible verses to basically secular (the God of Scripture is left out) materials. Rather, we
have purposed to begin passing on a truly biblical world view during children’s most formative years---when the foundation of their character,
habits, and intellect is being formed. For a more thorough biblical view of early childhood education, see the "Helpful Articles" link on the Home Page for "God-Centered vs. Child-Centered Education."
If you already own Complete Phonics Kit A
then you only need to order the Complete Phonics Add-On Kit B
(Part 002AO) which eliminates Level A items also used at Level B.
Phonics Kit B includes the following:
Getting More Information: For a detailed description of each item, clilck on its Part Number link.
- Christ-Centered Phonics Master Guide 3-ring binder (Part 200)
- Christ-Centered Phonics Flashcards 1-118: Master Set (Part 201)
- Christ-Centered Phonics Flashcards Drill CD (Part 201.5)
- Christ-Centered Phonics Lessons for Flashcards 1-31: Level B:1 (Part 204)
- Christ-Centered Phonics Workbook: Level B:1 (Part 205)
- Christ-Centered Phonics Workbook Instructions & Answer Key: Level B:1 (Part 205AK)
- Alphabet & Numbers Tracing Sheets (Part 216)
- Reader: Creation: God Made Me (Part 350)
- Short Vowel Readers Set (5 books - Part 351)
- Reader: It is Fun to Read (Part 360.1)
- Christ-Centered Phonics Lessons for Flashcards 32-66: Level B:2 (Part 206)
- Christ-Centered Phonics Workbook: Level B:2 (Part 207)
- Christ-Centered Phonics Workbook Instructions & Answer Key: Level B:2 (Part 207AK)
- Reader: The Fall: God Loves Me (Part 352)
- Long Vowel Readers Set (3 books - Part 353)
- Reader: Pals & Pets (Part 360.2)
- Alphabet Wall Cards (Part 215) are helpful when singing the "Christ-Centered Alphabet Song."
- Magnetic Learning Letters (Part 217) are a great hands-on teaching aid. (The vowels and consonants are in separate colors.)
OPTIONAL at LEVEL B:2: The workbook below may be done simultaneously with the Home School Phonics Workbook B:2 OR prior to starting Level C:2.
- Christ-Centered Spelling & Vocabulary Workbook: Level B:2 (Part 208)
- Christ-Centered Spelling & Vocabulary Workbook Answer Key: Level B:2 (Part 208AK)
Note to Phonics Edition 1 Users: The original C:1's Keys are compatible with the Vocabulary Development pages of Part 208.
Skills Covered at Phonics Level B:
- Aa-Zz Letters/Sounds
- Blends (single consonant and a vowel blended together to form one speech sound)
- Spelling Short-Vowel Words
- Reading One-Syllable Words
- Adding Suffix -s
- Consonant Digraphs (ck, sh, ch, tch, ng, nk, th, wh)
- Giant Blends (two or three consonants blended with a vowel)
- Beginning Grammar (naming words, describing words, and pronouns as a tool of reading comprehension)
- Manuscript Printing
Note: At Rocky Bayou Christian School, where this program was developed, as measured by the 1970 California Achievement Test (CAT) designed for first graders, at the end of kindergarten K5's with one year's education have averaged a median Grade Equivalent (G.E.) of 2.25 with a median Percentile score of 86.4. Kindergartners who attended both K4 and K5 have averaged a 3.02 G.E. and median Percentile score of 98.8.
WHERE TO BEGIN?
First, read Part I of the Christ-Centered Phonics Master Guide (Part 200) for an overview of how to teach the three levels of reading. Next, read Part II in the Guide: “How to Use the Charts and Visual Aids” (the binder's five tabbed sections). Finally, read the "Introduction" (pp. iii-xiii) to Christ-Centered Phonics Lessons for Flashcards 1-31: Level B:1 which covers these topics:
- Customizing the Program to Meet Your Family's Needs---Helpful insights into understanding the four personality types, their learning styles, and the three modalities which affect how children remember best.
- Customizing the Christ-Centered Phonics Program--- Periodically varying how phonics exercises are taught will add spice to your teaching and better meet your student’s temperament and learning style needs.
- Meeting the Special Needs of Large Families---Utilizing your children's unique temperaments and learning styles can help them be an asset during teaching times.
Teaching Phonics Level B:
The Level B lessons are very detailed---written so that even a novice teacher can be successful. After teaching a lesson, refer to the Phonics Workbook Instructions/Answer Key: Level B:1 (Part 205AK) for teaching tips to complete the Phonics Workbook: Level B:1 (Part 205) assignment listed in that lesson's "PACING SCHEDULE." (When ready for teaching Level B:2, follow the same procedure.)
Phonics Edition 1's Level B:1 Users: The original Phonics Lessons for Flashcards 1-31 and Instructions/Key B:1 are compatible with the Home School B:1 workbook (Part 205)---just skip the Aa-Zz review pages at the end.
Phonics Edition 1's Level B:2 Users: The original B:2 lessons, workbook, and Instructions/Answer Key are not compatible with the Home School version. For information on how to transition economically, call 1-800-778-4318.
Levels B:1 and B:2 can normally be completed within a typical school year. However, if you start an advanced 4-year-old on Level B, just teach in sequence at whatever pacing best fits God-given capabilities.